comparis.ch – a successful idea
comparis.ch is the leading Swiss Internet comparison service. On www.comparis.ch, consumers can easily and quickly compare rates and services of health insurance providers, other insurers, banks and telecommunications providers as well as offers for properties, cars and motorcycles. Thanks to the comparisons and ratings from comparis.ch, consumers can directly switch to the provider with the best price-performance ratio. comparis.ch was founded in 1996 by Richard Eisler, economist.
In 2013, the Comparis Property App for Windows devices won the “Best of Swiss Apps Award” with the gold medal in the “Business” category. In the same year, the Comparis Property App for iOS was named test winner by the trade magazine PCTipp. In March 2010, comparis.ch won the silver medal in the category “Simply the Best” of “Best of Swiss Web”, the renowned Swiss Internet award. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of this Internet award, the best Swiss websites of all times were honoured in this special category.
Since June of 2000, comparis.ch has been a joint stock company based in Zurich and today counts more than 80 employees. comparis.ch also has an Advisory Board. Every quarter, comparis.ch publishes the Konsumentenstimme (in German and French only) with facts, figures and background information on current consumer issues.
- Save with comparis.ch
- Independence is the highest principle
- Millions of users trust comparis.ch
- Revenues and expenditures of comparis.ch
- Benefits and revenues in the basic health insurance sector
- The role of comparis.ch on the insurance market
- What is the difference between comparis.ch and brokers/agents?
- Current services offered by comparis.ch
- Principles governing the compilation of the comparisons
Who likes to pay too much for the same service? Nobody! According to a representative survey, over 90 percent of the Swiss population think that saving money is a positive thing. However, on today's market with its various rates, premiums, fees, discounts and reductions, comparing prices and services poses a real challenge for consumers. comparis.ch makes sure that offers become comparable. The Internet comparison service continuously monitors and analyses over 1 million premiums for health insurance and other types of insurance, more than 90,000 telecom rates, approximately 300,000 offers in the areas of cars, motorcycles and real estate, 1,000 special deals from supermarkets along with over 1,000 interest rates for mortgages and personal loans. In addition, offers and premiums for the retail market (Smartshopper), property, mortgage and car market as well as health insurance can also be checked on the go thanks to applications especially developed for mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones. This service empowers consumers more than ever, as they can see within seconds where they can get the best offer at the lowest price. And life becomes easier.
comparis.ch's only commitment is to the consumers' interests and we do not mince matters if our experts detect unfair rates which might deceive consumers. Many providers already had to revise their offers after public criticism from comparis.ch.
The comparisons from comparis.ch are comprehensive and take into consideration all significant providers of an industrial sector who make their rates available online. No provider is associated with comparis.ch. Furthermore, all of the comparisons are permanently online. No provider could be privileged by comparis.ch, as its competitors would discover this straight away and object accordingly. This guarantees the neutrality of our comparisons and ratings.
comparis.ch had almost 60 million visitors last year and thus counts among the most widely used Swiss websites. Four out of five Internet users know the independent comparison service. They appreciate the transparency and savings potential offered by the comparisons. comparis.ch sees this sign of confidence as a great mission to constantly offer completely reliable and neutral comparisons.
If you have ever tried to compare offers for a certain product, you will know how difficult and time-consuming this is. Which provider is selling the product at what price? What are the conditions? Are the products really comparable or are they actually different products? comparis.ch employs more than 80 people in order to answer these questions for consumers. Each comparison – whether between insurance products, banks or mobile plans – is based on constant market observation and complex analyses.
comparis.ch finances the comparisons through advertising sales as well as the forwarding of clicks and the registering and processing of quote requests to the providers who wish to make use of these services. Depending on the sector, the quotation service costs CHF 30 or more per request and is the same for all providers. In return, the insurance companies are able to strongly reduce their expenses for insurance agents, call centres and administrative processes. Whether providers are included in the comparison and in what order they are displayed is independent of whether they make use of the comparis.ch services or not.
comparis.ch is the pioneer of health insurance premium comparisons. The Health Insurance Act (KVG) guarantees policyholders free choice of basic health insurance. Since 1996, policyholders have been able to compare their health insurance premiums on comparis.ch They exercise their right in light of premium increases and change their health insurance model or their insurance provider.
4.1 million premium comparisons: comparis.ch is the leading Internet comparison service in Switzerland. In 2016, people in Switzerland performed over 4.1 million health insurance premium comparisons on comparis.ch for 5.7 million persons*. This information service is free to the public and to health insurance companies and allows the insurers to save resources in the areas of information and advertising.
Compensation for premium comparisons and quote requests: Anyone wishing to change their provider after a comparison can request quotes through comparis.ch. The quoting process is efficient, fully automated and reduces the insurance companies' administrative costs. The health insurance companies pay comparis.ch only for the use of these quoting processes. In 2016, comparis.ch charged its partner companies some 10.9 million francs for these services related to social basic insurance. The annual costs for the premium comparisons were 1.90 francs per person.
The cost of telephone advertising and consultation services for comparison: Insurance providers pay a call centre around 100 francs for a consultation appointment. A consultation with an agent, a broker or a member of the provider's sales force costs another 100 francs without a full premium comparison. If it had been necessary to arrange an appointment plus a consultation instead of the 4.1 million premium comparisons on comparis.ch, the insurance companies would have incurred costs of around 880 million francs. That is more than half what the insurers spend on their own administration. Administrative costs in 2015 amounted to a total of 1.3 billion francs, which is 4.9 percent of premiums.
* More than one comparison may be performed per person.
On 4 December 1994, the Swiss voters decided on a reform of the Health Insurance Act (KVG). This stipulated that policyholders should be able to choose and change their insurance companies freely. Therefore, since 1996, the health insurance companies have been in a competitive situation. comparis.ch has an important function in this competition:
- Since 1996, the Comparis comparison has been making the complex premium jungle transparent, clear and comparable. This is the only way to guarantee that the policyholders are able to properly exercise their freedom of choice.
- Thanks to the comparability, the health insurance companies are under a greater pressure to offer cheaper premiums. This also forces them to organise their administration in a particularly efficient manner, for example.
- If the policyholders were not able to compare the premiums online and request offers, they would have to pick up the phone and make the effort to obtain the information from numerous insurers. One telephone enquiry and its processing generate costs of about 100 francs for the insurer.
- The IT processes at comparis.ch are significantly more cost efficient. Calculations show that, due to the automatised Comparis processes alone, the health insurance companies can save up to CHF 500 million in administration costs.
- comparis.ch points out the financial advantages that come with alternative insurance models and optional deductible rates. Thereby, these models are promoted, which is entirely in the spirit of the KVG. They cause the policyholders to take up more personal responsibility with regard to health care and curb the rise in health care costs.
- comparis.ch does not make any home calls. It is a passive information service for anyone who is interested.
- The policyholder needs to have the wish to change insurance. comparis.ch does not actively persuade anyone to switch.
- On comparis.ch, policyholders themselves decide which insurance suits them best.
- Anyone can compare their premiums with comparis.ch, no matter what age and health situation. comparis.ch does not participate in the hunt for good risks.
- comparis.ch screens and rates the insurance offerings critically and advises against taking out unnecessary insurance.
- comparis.ch includes all health insurance companies in the comparison.
- Thanks to the automatised quote request feature on comparis.ch, the insurance companies need significantly fewer telephone agents and administrators – which reduces the processing costs.
The users of the Comparis website can make comparisons on price-performance ratios in the following sections:
- The goal of comparis.ch is to offer comprehensive price-performance ratio comparisons in all business sections. comparis.ch therefore relies on the providers to make the according data available. Where this is not possible, comparis.ch at least tries to include all market-relevant providers in the comparisons.
- In the interest of market transparency, comparis.ch also supplies data of those providers who do not request it.
- In order to be included in a Comparis comparison, the providers' data need to be processed in such a way that they can be directly compared with the other providers' data. comparis.ch reserves the right not to include data in the comparisons if they do not meet this criterion.
- It is the aim of comparis.ch that at least 80 percent of all users be able to compare the products of their current provider with the competing offers.
- For all price-performance ratio comparisons, the Comparis neutrality guarantee applies.
Phone: +41 (0)44 360 52 62
Fax: +41 (0)44 360 52 72