Cars & motorcycles
Loans & mortgages
Healthcare & pensions
You can switch basic health insurance every year provided you cancel by the deadline of 30 November. The cancellation deadline for supplemental insurance is usually earlier and varies from insurer to insurer.
Your current health insurer must receive your cancellation letter by 30 November. You can also give notice on your basic insurance before having received confirmation of acceptance from your new provider. Your state of health is not relevant for basic insurance – you can even switch insurance if you are in the process of receiving medical treatment.
Observing the cancellation deadline
The cancellation deadline is met if the health insurer receives your notice by the last day of the statutory period (30 November, or 31 March in special cases) during regular office hours. The date on which the insurer receives the cancellation letter applies – not the date of the postmark.
Registered mail deposited in a P.O. box is considered to be delivered as soon as it is picked up from the post office. However, since delays cannot be ruled out, you should send the cancellation letter by registered post by mid-November or mid-March at the latest, so that you can prove you have given notice in good time.
Adults and children with the lowest deductible (300 or 0 francs respectively) and the standard model with free choice of service provider also have the option of cancelling by 30 June. They must, however, give three months’ notice. In other words, the health insurer must receive the cancellation letter by 31 March at the latest. Anyone with a higher deductible or an alternative health insurance model does not have the option of switching as of 1 July.
Policyholders whose premiums are set to increase mid-year must be notified of this by their health insurer by the end of April. In this case, you have until the end of May to cancel the policy and then switch to another insurer as of 1 July.
Cancelling your supplemental insurance in 2020
- Compare health insurers and benefits using the supplemental insurance comparison on the Comparis website.
- Request free, no-obligation quotes directly.
- Check the period of notice required by your existing supplemental insurance provider (usually 30 September).
- Don't cancel your existing insurance policy until you have received confirmation of acceptance from the new insurer.
- Cancel your supplemental insurance policy on time (the date of receipt by the insurer applies) by completing our cancellation form and sending the letter by registered post.
With supplemental insurance, the insurance companies are free to set their own cancellation notice periods. The cancellation periods are often longer than for basic insurance (e.g. three months to the end of the year, so the deadline is the end of September). Don't cancel your supplemental insurance until your new insurer confirms your acceptance, as insurers are not obliged to accept all applicants. Do you want to cancel your basic insurance but keep your supplemental insurance with your current provider? If so, you must state this very clearly. The best way is to include a statement in your cancellation letter to the effect of: “This cancellation only applies to my basic insurance policy. My supplemental insurance will remain with your company.”
- To be accepted for supplemental insurance, however, you need to complete a health questionnaire first. The health insurers are not obliged to accept you. They can also exclude cover for particular illnesses or delay the start date of insurance cover. This means that policyholders can still benefit from some supplemental insurance cover at least.
- With supplemental insurance, factors such as pre-existing conditions, multi-year policies and longer cancellation periods can make switching more difficult.
Cancellation periods if premiums change
The terms stated in the general conditions of insurance apply (e.g. one month’s notice from notification of the premium change or to the end of the year). It also possible to cancel your policy if your premiums increase because you enter a higher age group or a collective discount comes to an end.
Cancellation periods if premiums remain unchanged
The cancellation periods for supplemental insurance vary. Some supplemental insurance policies have a minimum duration of several years and a notice period of six months. The cancellation periods for supplemental insurance are stated in the general conditions of insurance of the supplemental insurance policies.
- Don’t cancel your current supplemental insurance until you have received an unconditional confirmation of acceptance from your new insurer. Otherwise, you should only cancel your basic insurance.
- If the insurer postpones the start date of cover, you are not always required to answer the health questions again. It can therefore be a good idea to apply for supplemental insurance early on.
- Health insurers may impose temporary or permanent exclusions on a supplemental insurance policy if they consider an applicant's state of health to be an unfavourable risk. This means that the policyholder is not entitled to insurance cover for any treatment relating to the illness stated in the exclusion.
- Answer the questions on the application form accurately and completely. Health insurance providers have the right to make retroactive exclusions if it is later determined that false or incomplete information was provided on the application form.