Compare, cancel and switch health insurance
In Switzerland it is possible to change your health insurance after cancelling your previous policy. Different terms apply to the changing of basic insurance and supplemental insurance. Basic insurance may be cancelled every year by the end of November. Read on to find out how it's done.How to cancel basic insurance
When is it possible to change supplemental insurance?
Compare and change health insurance
How do I go about changing my basic insurance for 2017?
- Changing health insurance is easy and uncomplicated
- Send your notice of cancellation to your health insurer until 30 November 2017
- Draw up a cancellation letter online for free
- Compare health insurance products, models and deductibles with the free Health Insurance Comparison of comparis.ch
- You have until 30/12/2017 to take out a new basic insurance policy
- The new basic insurance policy takes effect on 01/01/2018
Cancelling basic insurance
Changing insurance with effect from 1 January: The insurance companies must communicate their new premiums by 31 October. In that letter, they must also inform policyholders of their right to cancel. The existing policy may be cancelled until 30 November. Example: If you wish to cancel your basic insurance policy, your notice of cancellation must be received by your current insurer by 30 November at the latest. It doesn’t matter whether the premium is being raised or whether you hold a special form of insurance (healthcare network, HMO, family doctor model, medical helpline, optional deductible level, bonus insurance). What is important is that your health insurer communicates the new premium as approved by the Federal Office of Public Health by 31 October. Note: The cancellation letter must reach your insurer before the cancellation deadline is over. It is the date on which the insurer receives the letter that counts, and not the one on the postmark. The cancellation deadline is met if the notice is received by the insurer by the last day of the statutory period (31 March, 30 November) during regular office hours. Registered mail deposited in the P.O. box is considered as delivered in the moment in which it is picked up at the post office. Since delays cannot be ruled out, we recommend sending the cancellation letter by registered mail until mid-March or mid-November, respectively, so that you can prove that you have given notice in due time.
Changing insurance with effect from 1 July: Holders of a basic insurance policy with a regular deductible (adults 300 francs/children 0 francs per calendar year) and free choice of care providers may cancel their health insurance with effect from 30 June with three months’ notice. This means that your previous insurance provider must receive your notice of cancellation by 31 March. Cancelling insurance mid-year is not possible in case of a basic insurance policy with a higher deductible (adults 500 to 2500 francs/children 100 to 600 francs per calendar year) or with a limited choice of care providers (healthcare network, HMO, family doctor model, medical helpline) or with bonus insurance.
Policyholders whose premiums are increasing mid-year must be informed by their insurance provider by the end of April. In this case, you have until the end of May to cancel the contract and switch to another insurance provider to commence on 1 July.
If you have a bonus insurance policy with your current provider:
You may cancel a bonus policy only 5 years after the start of the contract and for the end of a calendar year with three months' notice. Should premiums rise, the cancellation period is reduced to only one month, though the 5-year rule for contract length still applies.
Please note: Outstanding monthly premiums may prevent you from being allowed to change insurance.
Click here to use our cancellation letter template: basic insurance.
Cancelling supplemental insurance
The terms stated in the General Conditions of Insurance apply (e.g. one month from notification of higher premiums or per year end). It also possible to cancel your policy if your premiums increase because you enter a higher age group.Cancellation periods in case of unchanged premiums:
The cancellation periods for supplemental insurance vary. Some supplemental insurance policies have a minimum duration of several years and six months’ notice. The cancellation periods are stated in the General Terms and Conditions of the supplemental insurance policies: list of all cancellation periods of supplemental insurance.Tips:
- Do not cancel your current supplemental insurance before having received confirmation of unconditional acceptance from your new insurance provider. Otherwise it is recommended to cancel only your basic insurance.
- Health insurance providers can place a temporary or permanent qualification (i.e. restriction) on supplemental insurance if they consider an applicant's state of health to be an unfavourable risk. This means that the policyholder will not be covered for treatment for an illness addressed in the qualification.
- Answer the questions in the application form accurately and completely. Health insurance providers have the right to make retroactive qualifications if it is later determined that false or incomplete information was provided on the application form.
Compare and change health insurance
- In a first step, compare the health insurance premiums in our Health Insurance Comparison and check out your potential savings per year.
- Find out whether choosing a different deductible would pay off for you and whether an alternative insurance model might be an option. Plenty of money can be saved by choosing the right deductible or an alternative insurance model.
- Request one or several quotes from the health insurance providers of your choice. Retrieving quotes is easy and can be done directly online in our health insurance premium comparison.
- Check the quotes received and apply with a new insurer using the enclosed application form. The health insurers are obliged to accept you for basic insurance without any restrictions.
Please note that your existing insurer must receive your notice of cancellation until 30 November. You can also give notice on your basic insurance before having received the confirmation of acceptance from your new provider. Your state of health doesn't matter for basic insurance – you may even change your insurance if you are already receiving medical treatment.
The insurance companies are free in determining the cancellation periods for supplemental insurance. The cancellation periods are often longer than for basic insurance (e.g. 3 months before the end of the year, i.e. the deadline is the end of September). If you wish to take out supplemental insurance with a cheaper provider, make sure you wait until your new provider confirms your acceptance, as insurers are not obliged to accept all applicants for supplemental insurance. If you cancel your basic insurance policy, but wish to keep your supplemental insurance with your existing provider, you must point this out very clearly. The best way to do this is to make a note in your cancellation letter: “This cancellation only applies to my basic insurance policy. My supplemental insurance shall remain with your company.”