The Comparis quality labels for health insurance companies
To promote and underline the health insurance companies' efforts to further improve the efficiency of their administration, the internet comparison service comparis.ch has created the "Efficiency Award". One award each is given to a health insurance company operating on a national level and one that does not offer basic insurance in every canton. The activity under observation concerns the mandatory part of health insurance only and does not consider supplemental insurance.
National winner: Visana
In 2014 the administrative costs of Visana health insurance, for instance, were only 3.0 percent of the premium volume.
Regional winner: Sodalis
As in the last couple of years, the award for the most efficient regional insurer goes to Sodalis, whose administrative costs amounted to 2.9 percent.
Ethical customer acquisition
The “Ethical customer acquisition” quality label from comparis.ch obliges health insurance providers to comply with the following provisions in particular with regard to customer acquisition:
- Any contact aimed at customer acquisition by telephone or by electronic means takes place in accordance with Swiss law, in particular the Federal Act on Unfair Competition (UCA) and the Data Protection Act (FADP). The provisions of the Swiss Advertising Standards Committee (SLK), the code of ethics of the Dialogmarketingverband (Dialogue Marketing Association (SDV)) and of callnet.ch also have to be adhered to.
- Persons contacted are informed where their address has been obtained, why it can be used and about the company being advertised. Any queries are answered truthfully. Information is also provided on who to contact for further queries.
- Deletion and blocking requests from persons contacted are implemented. The request does not have to be made in writing.
- Persons entered on a call-blocking list (Robinson list, callnet.ch or entry with an asterisk in the telephone book) may not be contacted for customer acquisition purposes. Exceptions are persons attending an event where the event organiser contractually permits the insurance provider to contact people and persons who have been a customer of the health insurance scheme being advertised within the past three years.
- Those who sell the data of potential customers to health insurance providers must work in an appropriate and transparent way and respect the wishes of the persons contacted at all times. The regulations also apply to third parties irrespective of whether they are commissioned by the health insurance scheme or not, such as brokers and external call centres.
Health insurance providers with the “Ethical customer acquisition” label undertake to guarantee compliance with these provisions. They ensure appropriate induction, training and supervision of both employees and commissioned third parties. They do not purchase from third parties not commissioned because they cannot guarantee that contact with potential customers has been established in an appropriate way.
Ethical customer acquisition
The “Ethical customer acquisition” label is awarded to health insurance providers which adhere to the principles contractually agreed with comparis.ch set out above.
The “No telemarketing” label is awarded to health insurance providers which completely refrain from customer acquisition by telephone and adhere to the provisions set out above when making contact via other channels (in person or via e-mail).