Report any damage to your insurer straight away, either in writing or by phone.
Many insurance companies have toll-free phone numbers for reporting claims or emergencies and provide policyholders with credit card-sized slips containing the reference numbers they should call in the event of damage.
- Insurers may request a written statement on an incident reported over the phone.
- For this, they usually offer claim reporting forms that cover all necessary aspects.
- Have another look at your insurer's general insurance conditions and your policy if you do not recall the contract details.
- The insurer will act either as your representative or in their own name and carry out negotiations with the damaged party (details in general insurance conditions).
- As policyholder, you are obliged to support your insurance company in its investigations and not acknowledge any right to claims or provide any sort of payment directly to the aggrieved party.
Casco insurance claims:
The insurance providers determine what investigations need to be carried out and what evidence should be collected.
- In order to avoid cuts in benefits, the insurer must be given a chance to examine the damaged vehicle before repair (or to have it examined).
- Depending on the type of damage, an incident may have to be reported to the police (usually in case of theft of a vehicle or of personal belongings, damage while parked or acts of vandalism).
- The insurance company may also demand that you file a complaint against unknown persons.
- In case of an accident involving animals, the driver must immediately contact either the police or gamekeeper so they can register the accident, or ask the owner to confirm the accident.
- Following the accident, a registered physician must be consulted as soon as possible to guarantee proper treatment.
- The policyholder must free his/her treating doctors from patient confidentiality towards the insurance company.
- In the event of death, the insurance company may require those relatives entitled to benefits to give their consent to an autopsy.