Coverage of items carried in the car – or personal effects, as they are often called in insurance jargon – is included in casco insurance (comprehensive). The amount of compensation is usually limited. The following claims are generally covered:
- Damage to or destruction of items carried along by the driver or passengers for their personal use, provided that the vehicle has suffered damage covered through casco insurance.
- Theft, if the effects (items) were located in the fully locked car.
No coverage is normally granted for:
- Cash, credit cards, commercial papers, tickets and passes, jewellery, gems, objects of art.
- IT devices and software, portable phones and radio systems, entertainment electronics and fax devices are not covered with many providers.
- Items for professional use are excluded from coverage.
In case of theft, these items are usually also covered through contents insurance.