Contents & personal liability

Building insurance

In contrast to contents insurance, which covers damage to the interior of your home, building insurance pays for damage to buildings and their components. The basic cover includes damage due to fire, water and natural hazards. Building insurance also includes fixtures and fitments that are part of the dwelling (built-in cupboards, ovens, stoves, bath tubs, shutters, etc.). Moveable structures are either covered under building insurance or contents insurance, depending on the provider. Building insurance is mandatory in most cantons and the owner's responsibility. The scope of coverage and the premiums vary from canton to canton.

Water, natural hazards, fire and earthquakes represent the biggest risks in terms of building damage.